31 Aug 2012
Not too many favourites this month but these are the products I’ve been reaching for most.
1. Cien Hand Cream – This is a product from Lidl and I really like it. It makes your hands feel so soft and doesn’t leave them feeling greasy at all. It smells of almonds it’s lovely. I keep this tube in my handbag and will repurchase it when it runs out.
2. Mac Fix + – This has been a life saver this month. My makeup always looks so fresh and dewy after using this. I find this is one of those products you use loads for a while then forget about it again until you re discover it. But I am loving it ATM
3. Germaine de Capuccini foundation – I love this foundation, I bought it from my local spa and it has the smoothest finish. It’s a great foundation for the summer as it has SPF 30 and is really lightweight. I can’t seem to find it for sale anywhere online, sorry.
4. Avon nail experts 24k gold strength – My nails have needed a little TLC this month & so I’ve been using this under my nail polish (when i remember to put it on). My nails are looking like they’re in a better condition and are not so brittle.
6. Me Me Me Precision Eye Definer – this is a lovely black liquid eyeliner. You can achieve such a precise line with this and it lasts all day. I’ve enjoyed putting this to the test this month.
7. Mac Naked Lunch Eyeshadow – This is a fab all over the lid colour. It looks soft and makes your eye look bright. It’s a staple colour in my collection and I wear it all the time.
8. Avon Golden Glamour Blush Duo – This is so pretty. It makes me look really healthy and fresh-faced (well to an extent). You have a highlighter and a brilliant pink blush in this. So you get two great products in this. Again I have written a review of this here.
What have been your favourite products this month? Oh & do you like our new layout / look? We still have a few small issues to iron out & tweak but I think its looking fab
30 Aug 2012
As some of you may know I’m a real neutral eyeshadow addict. I’m drawn to them like a moth to a flame. I seem to wear them the most. I rarely go for anything too bright & I think that a lovely brown / warm eyeshadow suits me best. So I won a giveaway a little while back and this Maybelline quad was one of the prizes & I have to tell you its a great quad
I don’t own too many Maybelline products. I’ve a few nail polishes and I’ve tried a couple of their mascaras but it’s not a brand I tend to pick up. I think this quad has persuaded me to give Maybelline a second chance . I’ve found myself reaching for this Coral Drama quad day after day. The shadows are so creamy soft and easy to apply and blend. Before I was sent this I hadn’t seen anything about these quads anywhere & now I discover they have a few different colours available. I will be picking up a few of the other ones too.
I’d describe the shades as a Soft Champagne , Light Gold, Peachy Pink, Copper Brown.
The only downside to this quad is there isn’t a matte shade but apart from that there isn’t a bad thing to say. These have a little shimmer to them and the peachy pink and the copper brown shades are my favourite. They just pop on the eye and they aren’t powdery at all. I’m seriously impressed with this. It is so handy to take with you on the go, its such a compact quad & really versatile.
Have you tried any of these quads? Let me know how you liked them or if there are any other Maybelline products I have been over looking.
28 Aug 2012
It’s been a funny old month I have been to Amsterdam & to Scotland and for both trips I took samples & mini products with me & forgot to keep the empty containers, never mind. I do have a few bits that I managed to keep hold of. I still don’t think I am using up many things. I need to make more effort to use something before starting on the next product. That way I think I will use up more of the half empty bottles I have all over the place.
Being a beauty junkie there’s something satisfying about using up a whole product. Am I alone on this? Or do you feel a little sense of satisfaction too?
1. The ETAT PUR Micellar Cleansing Water £6.40 for 190ml — This was in my Latest in Beauty Box a couple of months ago & I have LOVED using is. It was my first Micellar Cleansing Water and I was so impressed with it. It broke down my makeup and removed it like a dream. I will always use a Micellar Cleansing Water now to remove my makeup before washing my face. I would repurchase this again but this ran out whilst I was on holiday & had to buy one whilst in Amsterdam and so opted for one from Yves Rocher. I will be writing a review of this soon. For £6.40 this is a great value product and I whole heartily recommend it.
2. Caudalie Beauty Elixir £32.00 for 100ml – I purchased this in May so it has last me a few months and I’m so sad this has run out too. I really enjoyed using it. Although I never got used to the smell. I would like to repurchase this but at the moment can’t justify the price tag & have put it on my Birthday wish list which is in October. So I am hoping someone takes pity on my addiction and buys me a bottle.
3. Origins Out of Trouble 10 minute mask to rescue problem skin £20 for 100ml – This is a lovely gentle mask which just gives your face a really deep clean. This tube has lasted me so long and I used it almost every week. It’s a great quick mask for people who often don’t have time to sit with one on for ages. You really only need to leave it on for 10 mins. I would repurchase this too – but i think I will try a different one from Origins first.
4. Nivea Sensitive & Pure roll on deodorant £2.09 for 50ml – Nothing exciting but I get through a far few of these. I have repurchased a different Nivea one but is very similar. This did the job & was gentle on my under arms. Nothing more to say really.
Lacura Salt Scrub / Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Scrub
5. Lacura Aroma Salt Scrub – This is from Aldi and I can’t find a link to buy it online anywhere. But its a great budget scrub. It’s not a heavy-duty scrub but the salt really gets your skin smooth and leaves it very soft. It’s a nice product. I have re purchased this.
6. Soap & Glory Sugar Crush £8.00 for 300ml – This didn’t last me very long but i did like it and it smells very sweet. So if you like that kind of scent you will love this. It’s a good scrub for really exfoliating and leaves your skin feeling great. I used this mostly on the backs of my arms and my elbows. I would repurchase but only when Boots have a deal on.
7. Toni & Guy Iron it Heat Spray – £1 for 50ml – This was a miniature I picked up for my holiday. Nothing special just the job but I don’t think I will repurchase.
8. Simple Eye Makeup Remover – Again this is a miniature I took away with me and I continued to use it when I got back too. It worked really well. I don’t wear really heavy eye makeup but it was gentle and all my eye makeup came off no problem. I would repurchase this.
9. Clarins Extra Firming Body Lotion – This was another sample from a beauty box. This one came in a Glossybox & I am so glad it’s finally used up as i didn’t like it at all. It was too thick and so hard to rub in. I can’t see any results and really didn’t like how this felt on my skin. Not impressed.
10. Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheets £2.99 for 50 I have done a review of these which you can read here if you like. I LOVE these and have purchased a few more packs as I like to have a pack in my handbag with me. I also picked some up for my mum and she is a fan too. So if you havent tried these out give them a go. They really work.
If you have done an empties post this month I’d love to read it. Leave a link to it in the comments.
27 Aug 2012
Whilst I was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago I popped into their Inglot store. I have never been to one of their stores before but I have seen so many reviews and blog posts about their products and in particular about their Freedom System Palettes. Where you get to pick and chose exactly what products and shades to put in your own palette. It’s such a good idea.
So I decided on a 10 pan Freedom System Eyeshaow Palette & I set to work picking my shades whilst my lovely hubby sat and played angry birds to keep himself from falling asleep. If you’ve made your own palette in Inglot then you will know you are so spoilt for choice and it can take a while. That’s me trying to decide & it’s only a tiny part of the shop! Its heaven for a beauty junkie & hell for your man :o)
With this being my first Inglot experience I wanted to make a palette that I’d get a lot of wear from and really use. So for me that meant I had to get more neutral tones as that’s what I seem to wear the most and I was really drawn to all those shades anyway. I tried to get a mixture of matte and more frosty colours and tried to steer myself away from the really glittery ones as I do like them but tend not to actually wear them.
The palettes themselves are really great quality – the lid part is magnetic and very strong you just slide it on and off and the magnets hold it closed. Each eyeshadow pan has 2.7g of shadow which is really great – they have 158 shades to choose from. Inglot have so many options from lovely bright colours to neutrals they offer a real spectrum of colours. It looks really beautiful in the store seeing all the colours laid out.
The colours I decided on are mostly Pearl finish apart from 2 Matte shades.
Top row : 421 – Pearl, 409 – Pearl, 357 – Matte, 405 – Pearl, 407 – Pearl
Bottom row: 423 – Pearl, 452 – Pearl, 344 – Matte, 399 – Pearl, 397 – Pearl
These eyeshadows are so creamy and pigmented they are so nice to work with and Im already planning my next palette. There was one shadow which was sold out and I was gutted as I really wanted it & kept picking it up even tho’ I knew it was out of stock. Crazy how we are drawn to certain shades.
I made the mistake of letting the lady in the shop put my palette together in the shop & then you have NO idea what colours you have. Unless you take out each individual pan to see the number on the bottom — and thats a task which is easier said than done took me ages to get them out.
421, 452, 405 – swatches
They are all so pigmented are pretty and I can’t wait to use them and start creating some lovely looks. Have you tried Inglot. What other products would you recommend from them? I really enjoyed my experience and am really looking forward to going to the store in London. I do wish they colours had names instead of numbers. I think it would be so much easier to remember colours that way. But ho hum
26 Aug 2012
For half of this week we were up in Scotland seeing my dad (he had a massive stroke in December). It’s nice to spend a little time with him and see how he is progressing. It was also my Aunts birthday so we managed to see lots of family which is always nice. The other half of this week was spent trying to catch up with work and more house / flat hunting. Still trying to figure out exactly where about to live in the NW. So many nice options. So if you have any recommendations of locations in or around Manchester I would love to hear them.
The weather has been absolutely mental this week. I always seem to wear the wrong footwear. When it rains i have on flip-flops / sandals and when the sun is out i have on boots. Can’t seem to win. I’m hoping we still have some cracking Indian summer weather ahead and this isn’t the start of Autumn. I’ve too many summer clothes that haven’t seen the light of day for this to be the end of the warm weather.
Here is my weekly roundup
25 Aug 2012
When I go on holiday I try to pick up some Mac items duty-free but this time I only picked up this one eyeshadow. I wanted some of the Heavenly Creatures collection but they only carried a few things from that collection and none of which I wanted so I settled with Amber Lights.
This is a lovely creamy shadow with great pigmentation. You can use it lightly all over the lid for a really nice light copper tone or you can also make it quite intense by using more product to give an intense deep copper colour.
This is a lovely warm toned colour and it fits well into my collection of Mac shadows as I’ve mostly neutral colours as these are the ones I wear the most. I’m so pleased with this colour and have been wearing it a lot. It makes your eyes pop and gives your lids a lovely flash of colour.
Not too much to say about this, other than that its a really lovely colour. It’s a Frost finish – I like this finish it looks nice on and gives a shimmer without having any glitter. It has great staying power after 6 hours the colour was still vibrant. You can pick this up from Mac online for £12 for 1.5g of product. I can’t recommend this enough. Which Mac shadows have you been enjoying – do you have any to recommend?
24 Aug 2012
So today I will be attempting to depot my Mac eyeshadows into a palette which I recently purchased from Katy who has a blog called Rotten Otters’s Thoughts. I don’t have a huge collection of Mac shadows. I’ve been collecting them slowly and really trying to buy colours that I will get a lot of use of & for me that’s always neutral colours.
The colours I have at the moment are
I’m quite nervous to de pot them so was hoping someone has some words of wisdom or advice for me before I jump in and make a complete hash of it. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any suggestions as so what shadows I need in my collection to fill my palette. I have my eye on Time & Space and All That Glitters.
23 Aug 2012
AWOL & BAREFOOT
These two lovely nail polishes from Topshop are two items I received in my recent giveaway win. They are both really great. I would normally have been drawn right to the Barefoot shade more neutral and subtle but I’ve been really enjoying the AWOL blue shade. It’s really lovely a bright blue a perfect summer shade and it looks so nice on.
I’ve found the formulation of Topshop nail polishes to be very good quality. Both of these shades went on really well and two coats is perfect along with a good topcoat. I wore AWOL from Sunday through to Wednesday evening with no chipping at all so that’s great for me as I’m always washing dishes and I’m crap at looking after freshly manicured nails.
I found these polishes dried really fast so if you’re impatient like me you will love them. You have to say the packaging it sweet too. Just a little polka dot pattern – really cute. Topshop Makeup has just really nice packaging. Nothing too OTT just a simple touch I like it.
Barefoot as I said is a perfect nude colour and looks great on its own or as a base to pop a lovely glitter topcoat. It’s a really lovely shade it can look slightly pink but only a really dusky toned one. I find it so easy to wear, Its lovely and subtle. Both shades cost £5 and you get 8ml so that’s great value. They do last and Topshop have a great range of colours some lovely glitters and some really funky Metallics.
I really like both colours and have been impressed with the quality and finish of them. They have been getting a lot of wear. Have you tried any other colours from Topshop? Or anything else from their makeup range? I’d love to know if you’ve any recommendations.
21 Aug 2012
I was lucky enough to win a giveaway about a month ago. It was on Alice’s blog Bright Town Girl and as you can see I won some amazing goodies. I was so excited to receive them. Alice did send them really quickly I just kept forgetting to write this post. Along with all the items in the photo below Alice sent LOTS of samples/sachet’s which I have used up. Like the Liz Earle tinted moisturiser and lots of lovely skincare samples.
The Topshop nail polish in AWOL (blue) and Barefoot (nude) have been getting a lot of wear. They are both great colours and like all the Topshop nail polishes I’ve tried they have great staying power.
How nice are the two Maybelline eyeshadow quads. The colours are really pigmented and i took the neutral toned one – Coral Drama 20, with me to Amsterdam, I’ll have a post on this in more detail at the end of the week. The colours are beautiful.
You also can’t beat a tube of Soap and Glory’s The Righteous Butter – this is a firm fave of mine and I love it. This sample size has come away with me to Scotland for the week. So i am enjoying using that.
The L’Oreal liquid eyeliner is so nice. It allows you to do such a precise line & its a great black. This is great for doing a cute flick and i have been practicing my eyeliner flick. So far so good and I’ve been enjoying using this.
This was my first giveaway win and I was sent so many wonderful products. I am thrilled. So if you get chance check Alice’s blog! Have you won any giveaways or are you holding one ATM? Have you tried any of the products I was sent? I’ve really been loving testing them out this past month. So expect some reviews over the next few weeks,
19 Aug 2012
This is just a quick post to show you what I picked up in Amsterdam. I really tried not to go to OTT & didn’t want to drag the hubby round too many shops. We had a lovely time & celebrated our 13 year anniversary <3
So I picked up a chemists own branded makeup remover (ran out of mine). I popped into Yves Rocher, they have a lovely store there and they were really helpful. I just picked up this Micellar cleansing water. Then i found the nicest Skincare shop called Skin Cosmetics it was heaven, they sell so many luxurious brands and it was a pleasure to browse. I did buy a really nice Aesop Masque and look forward to using that.
I picked up Mac Amber Lights, whata beautiful colour that it. Also a mono Cartice eyeshadow in My First Copperware Party. And a smokey eyes eyeshadow from etos chemist. I look forward to trying all of these.
The first polish by ANNY I thought looked like a good dupe for the Chanel Peridot. I really hope so. I picked up this cute Essence glitter top coat in Circus Confetti. Also this NYC pink / purple glitter polish in Big City Dazzle. Lastly was this bright pink from Douglas which is a makeup & skincare shop the colour is called Lena 03.
Inglot is such a great shop / brand they have amazing choice in colour and products and I have a great time taking my time deciding. The staff in the Amsterdam store were so helpful and gave me tips and really leave you to browse you don’t feel rushed at all. This is a sneek peek of my palette as I want to do a whole post on this as it so pretty. I decided on a Freedom System 12 palette.
I will be reviewing my purchases in more detail over the next few weeks. Have you bought anything from Inglot or any of the other brands I picked up?
← Older Entries