I’m possibly the worst baker but I really want to get better because there is nothing nicer than enjoying home-baked treats, it also makes your house smell incredible. So I told myself that 2017 was the year I would put my recipe books to good use and get busy in the kitchen learning to bake some delicious sweet treats. I always enjoy banana bread and it has to be one of the easiest recipes to master, so it is a good place to start. We can also convince ourselves it is somewhat healthy as it contains banana’s …… right?
I have two recipes that I go back and forth between which are my good friend Hayley’s Recipe and Aine Carlin from The New Vegan – I’ve taken my favourite bits from them both and created my version of a delicious banana bread.
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 225g self-raising flour
- 50g olive oil
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- A handful of Vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- First off preheat your oven to 180 /Gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease and line a 2lb loaf tin or use a tin parchment paper liner (that is what I do)
- Using a fork, mash the banana’s in a large mixing bowl
- Measure all the dry ingredients and add them to the bowl with your bananas
- The add the wet ingredients to your mixture and mix for about 2 minutes until the mixture is lump free and quite smooth. I use an electric whisk for this part (lazy)
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips to your mixture and stir them in so they’re evenly distributed
- Transfer mixture into your loaf tin and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire rack & enjoy with a lovely cup of tea.
Let me know what extras you like to add to your banana bread.